Sign in to follow this  
BellaFerreira

Bella_Writing Contest "Warmth"

Retired

Summary

Food it's not only worth to please the taste or to survive.

Sometimes, a good meal brings memories....and warmth.

Enjoy :')

Don't forget, Writing is Food for the Mind.

Retired

"Warmth"

Just as the clear river lazily kept its routine, the fisherman also kept his.

The sun didn't seem to want to wake up, even with all the birds already calling for his coming. With all that noise from those early birds in the trees, the fisherman was barely noticed as he walked alongside the river, making fallen leaves crack under his feet. The morning felt refreshing but, just the effort of walking from his home to the same spot he took everyday, was taking all of his energy today. He wasn't young and the look of his skin or his way of walking could tell that. Each day, he took longer to reach his fishing spot and today the sun already had lost his stubbornness and had allowed life to start the day.

As he settled himself for a long day, waiting for something to bite, he took a deep breath and sighted. His advanced age wasn't the reason he took that long.

«How long has it been since my last meal?» that thought played in his mind for a long time, until his stomach rumbled and he decided that it had been two weeks, by the sound of it.

«Even if I catch anything, will I have strength enough to pull it?» his stomach rumbled a second time while he watched his skin stretch as he flexed his fingers. It hurt...

His hand made its way to the back of his neck and he left it there for comfort and waited.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The day had reached its end, and he barely had anything to be able say that his day had been successful. The river that happily provided for him all these years, now looked empty. It seemed that now his only use was to carry dead, brown leaves that glided down the stream. Right in front of him, a rust colored leaf seemed to be playing with the river, swinging back and forth. Quickly, his eyes became unfocused, watching the movement and remembering his own rust tree. Maybe it was a sign he should go back home... back to his tree.

The way back took as much effort, if not more, as it had in the morning. Coming up the trail, for a stranger's eye it would be difficult to find his house. Hidden among the rest of the trees, his house was simple... it was without a doubt a fisherman's house: just one floor, with a crackling painting job and windows that invited in the cold wind. Right in front of the kitchen there was a tree that covered the right side of the house and that looked like it was rusting, just like any metal would.

Taking a look at the house, sweating from the effort and with his vision a bit blurry, he wondered why was smoke coming out of his house? He felt confused and his mind was not working properly.

«Is it burning? Did I left the fireplace lit?»

He felt weak, out of balance and his body was also showing that. He managed to take some steps forward and look past his rust tree. The smoke was coming from the chimney.

Almost out of consciousness, he struggled to think, «Did I left something cooking in the morning? No... It would have burned the whole house by now.»

His eyes felt heavy and his mind was jumping from one thought to another. It almost felt like his wife was waiting for him with his dinner ready, just like a while back. But it was impossible... his wife... she had already parted. He took a look at the rust colored tree. It didn't always looked like that, but after he buried his wife under that tree, just like she wanted, one would say that the tree had also died.

Taking slow, short, stumbling steps to his house, he kept his eyes on the smoke. Without taking long he opened the door and made his way to the stove, where a pot of stew was boiling, asking to be placed on a plate.

«I... who...», words were not working right now, because his mind was also not working properly. His stomach was in charge right now and it demanded to be satisfied.

Grabbing a plate full and setting himself in his hard kitchen chair, he ate and he also cried. There was no mistake, that was his wife stew, and he mourned her again. As he continued to eat, more and more memories passed before his eyes. Sometimes food does that... brings forth good memories, childhood times, happy family times. He let out all of his frustration with his tears: his fear of starving, his loneliness, he felt so tired... and his tears never dried.

Still smelling something sugary, he looked in the oven and found an apple pie. With his vision and mind still blurry, he served himself and headed for the couch. He dragged his couch and sat by his kitchen window, where he could look at his wife's rust tree, from where in the past she would pick apples for the pie.

They were never happy in their relationship, their marriage was set by their parents. He had known of her betrayals, and he also had his fair share. But in the end of the day, she always had a warm meal ready for him, just like today. There was not love, but she was kind... he could taste that in her food.

Now, his house was cold, but all he could feel was the warmth from inside his body. He couldn't say if it was from the food or from the kindness he had tasted. But... one meal wasn't enough... With that warmth trying to fight off the cold reaching his finger, he took a last look at the window and smiled. He saw her.. Just like he always desired, his wife had made his last meal.

By the window, a dark haired young girl watched as the old man smiled at her and gave up from living. Slowly, she let her knees hit the dirt.

It had been too late.

Edited by BellaFerreira
Add Italic
  • Upvote 2

Retired

Edited to add italic.

BTW!! I'm curious.

For anyone that has read my small story above:

Who's the dark heared girl?

-actually his wife? maybe her ghost?

-just some random girl that took pity of him?

-he was dying.... maybe allucinating?

Or something else :'D? 

Proofreader

I thought she was his daughter...

• Upvote 1

Retired

Good guess! :'D

TBH, In my head they really never had a child, but I guess I never wrote that, so.... now that could be true!! ahahahhahaha

Retired
On ‎16‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 0:01 PM, Hibisha said:

That was so sad ;A;

Good, exactly what I wanted! :admire-onion-head-emoticon:

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this